Thursday, March 8, 2012

Chicken Adobo - Super Easy Comfort Food

I can't say that I actually got my inspiration back today when it came to cooking, but I did actually cook a real meal that required effort today.  I fell back on a tried-and-true recipe, Chicken Adobo. What does adobo mean and where did it come from?
"According to the history,when Spanish colonizers first took over the Philippines in late 1500s and early 1600s, they encountered an indigenous cooking process which involved stewing with vinegar." - http://philippinesfoodrecipes.blogspot.com/2009/05/filipino-recipe-chicken-adobo.html
Yes, it's got a hefty vinegar punch, but if you've never tried chicken adobo, you are in for a treat.  I admit that the first time I tasted it I was looking for the hit of sweet,more like a teriyak flavour, with brown sugar and ginger, adobo is not that.  Chicken adobo is quite different, you actually get your sweet hit from eating the dish with banana.  Weird, I know.  Banana and chicken?  But trust me it works. (If you're really not adventurous, I've found peas a good substitute.)

So here's my recipe, I've changed it slightly from ones I've seen on the internet by substituting apple cider vinegar almost entirely.

Chicken Adobo  

Ingredients

  • 6-8 skinless chicken thighs or drumsticks (boneless too, if you prefer)
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar (you can add some white vinegar if you want to mix)
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce (I used Kikkoman) 
  • 4 or more cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
  • 3 bay leaves
  • 1 onion, chopped into chunks
 
Directions
Separate the thighs from the drumsticks and place into a large bowl with all other ingredients. Let sit to marinate for 1 hour.
Brown in chicken frying pan and return to marinade. Add the onion and garlic to the pan to soften and pick up the brown bits left behind from the chicken.
Return chicken and marinade to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cover and continue to cook for 30 minutes, turning chichen occasionally. Uncover and let simmer to reduce another 20 minutes or until the chicken is tender.
Serve with rice and sliced bananas.
Chicken Adobo, midway through.
See the brown goodness developing?

5 comments:

  1. Looks tasty, I'd like to try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the dish we brought to the Prosperity Feast two years ago - it was a hit... especially with Andy. :)

      Delete
  2. looks like an easy and cheap recipe... i will try that this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. just tried it - very good... thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That so cool that you tried one of my recipes... I feel so special. (Food Network, here I come!! JK!)

      Delete